The Data Engineer role
- Write high-quality, well-tested, observable code that runs smoothly in production and elevates the standards across the team
- Run and support a production data platform that supports the business
- Organize data from disparate sources making it accessible and usable across the team (e.g., Data Science, Analytics)
- Collaborate with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g. credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experience working with data warehouses (we use Redshift and Postgres), building out robust data pipelines and backend systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Value collaboration both within and outside of the team. You understand the value of collaboration within teams and the power of extending that collaboration across the company.
- Be a quick, eager learner. Deep domain expertise in every aspect of Data Engineering isn’t expected, but be willing to learn and approach the learning with excitement.
- Flexibility. Petal is a startup and with that comes changing business needs, and changing priorities; you should be able to take on these changes in stride.
- Adaptable. As stated above, this role is mostly frontend-focused; that said, successful engineers here roll up their sleeves to dive into their dependencies when planning projects, debugging issues, and implementing features end-to-end.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Experience mentoring engineers.
- Experience in financial services.
- You've contributed to open source projects to scratch an itch instead of building solutions from the ground up.
- Love of immutable state.
- Love of idempotent operations.
Please let Petal know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
May 27th, 2021
Job posted on
October 29th, 2020
Petal is hiring for this role in the following timezones:
About the companyResponsible credit for the modern world. Petal is a simple, no-fee credit card that doesn't require a credit score. A credit card without any fees, that you can apply for without a credit history, th...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.