WHAT HAVE WE WORKED ON RECENTLY?
- Gutenberg is a new block-level editor with clean abstractions for users, too, not just developers.
- WooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce platform on the web – with a number of growing functionalities around WooCommerce Shipping, WooCommerce payments and core.
- Tumblr is a microblogging and social network, in a short-form blog format, which now uses React. The Engineering blog covers a number of projects and improvements to the platform.
- Jetpack brings cloud-scale security, performance, and growth features to any WordPress site in the world.
- To view more of our recent work, check out our longer product list on Automattic.com.
- Have experience working on large-scale systems. Making them faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Have demonstrated experience and interest in systems architecture.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance and unit testing is very welcome.
THE SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (BACKEND, PHP) POSITION MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT IF YOU:
- Have experience working on a large-scale system. Making it faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Know about systems architecture.
- Are highly collaborative and you love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, or design.
- Are passionate about and experienced in software development; in particular, advanced PHP knowledge is a plus.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance testing and unit testing is very welcome.
- Are thoughtful about product design, with good user experience instincts.
- Are open and able to travel 3-4 weeks per year to meet up with your teammates in person.
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open source contributions or contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience working on accessibility.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
- Knowledge of tooling and build systems.
HOW DO WE WORK?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
WHAT TO EXPECT
Please let Automattic know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
August 18th, 2021
Job posted on
April 1st, 2021
About the companyWe are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, and more. We believe in making the web a better place We’re a distributed company with more than 1100 Automatticians in 65+ coun...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.