Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars yearly for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. To earn this trust, we invest deeply in our infrastructure.
The offline data platform teams own the infrastructure that ingests business data, processes and analyzes it, and makes it available to a wide variety of partner teams. Our platform empowers everything from ML-based customer-facing products to payment reconciliation to financial reporting. We must meet an extremely high bar for security, privacy, and reliability.
You will be a key contributor to the next evolution of our platform: moving from next-day to near-real-time processing allowing us to unlock new product capabilities. You will make a step-function difference in our ability to empower any Stripe to create and maintain predictable, observable pipelines. We believe in open source and as a part of this team you’ll find yourself working with the open source community in addition to Stripes.
As a Staff Engineer you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe, and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ data capabilities even more reliable and usable than they are today, and we’d love for you to be a part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, and constantly get feedback to make their experiences better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in data platform technologies, ideally within the offline processing space. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously, and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward.
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Anticipate and plan for the growth of Stripe’s offline data platform infrastructure
- Scope, design and implement platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across our services and multiple levels of the stack
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Curiosity to learn and share knowledge with peers, and the motivation to empower others to be more productive
- Pleasure in anticipating how systems fail, how to observe and design robust systems, and building the right interfaces that encourage best practices
- A mature understanding to strike the balance between ideal and pragmatic solutions on a case-by-case basis
- 10+ years of experience in data platform engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a top tier software company
- Strong coding skills in Java, Scala, Go, or another language for building highly performant services
- Experience planning and driving large projects involving multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Strong understanding and practical experience with systems like Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Iceberg, and Airflow
- Strong understanding and practical experience in data platform fundamentals, including clustering, distributed systems, fault tolerance, networking, etc.
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment
- Experience in systems engineering at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.
Please let Stripe know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
August 18th, 2021
Job posted on
January 26th, 2021
Stripe is hiring for this role in the following timezones:
About the companyStripe is a software platform for starting and running internet businesses. Millions of businesses rely on Stripe’s software tools to accept payments, expand globally, and manage their businesses onlin...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.