A brief overview of the GitLab Development Team:
Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs, and generally improving the application. The Database Group is responsible for making application changes to improve database performance, availability and reliability. Additionally, the Backend Engineer, Database will be expected to review database related code with the goal of eventually becoming a Database Maintainer.
- Automated database migration testing
- Database Partitioning
- Reduce total size and growth of GitLab.com's PostgreSQL database
- Address Primary Key overflow risk for tables with an integer PK
- Feature - Automate feedback of database query performance into GitLab (Epic TBD)
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, and frontend teams.
- Keep changes small and iterate towards the best solution.
- Reviewing database related changes submitted by other engineers or community contributors
- Documenting database best practices or patterns to avoid
- Developing tooling to proactively inform developers of potential performance issues
- Research, design and implement solutions to improve product performance
You should apply if:
- you have significant professional software engineering experience with PostgreSQL in large production environments
- you have significant experience with Ruby on Rails or other Ruby frameworks
- you can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level
- you are passionate about open source.
- you have strong written communication skills.
- you are self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- you have demonstrated the ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term. Within the last 5 years, you've worked at one company for at least 2 years.
- you have demonstrated the ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- you are able to thrive in a fully remote organization
- you are able to use GitLab
- you share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Please let GitLab know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
June 4th, 2021
Job posted on
February 25th, 2021
About the companyGitLab is a complete DevOps platform, delivered as a single application. Built on open-source, GitLab leverages the community contributions of thousands of developers and millions of users to continuou...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.