About On Deck
What you will do:
- Lead all aspects of On Deck’s legal matters including, but not limited to, general corporate matters and commercial contracts; privacy and data security matters; employment and litigation matters; IP and technology licensing; compliance and international; legal operations; real estate; and mergers and acquisitions.
- Negotiate and broker M&A transactions.
- Provide strategic legal advice to executives, senior management and board members regarding legal developments whose implications may impact the business.
- Advise on innovative and strategic financial instruments, such as the CISA (Convertible Income Share Agreement).
- Help develop community and programming for other general counsels and heads of legal at high growth start-ups around the world.
- Oversee the delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish company goals, strategies and priorities.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of agreements and documents and continuously seek ways to improve the forms, processes, or systems involved.
- Select, retain and manage relationships and matters with outside counsels, as required.
- Prepare and deliver training and presentations to the employees, management, executives and the Board of Directors on various legal and compliance matters.
- Build, mentor and manage the professional development of the legal team.
- Keep a record of all legal documents and proceedings for the company.
- Work hands on with the next generation of top founders.
Who you are:
- Experience in managing several legal professionals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to ensure all litigation information and instructions to the staff is clear and effective in as plain and legible language as possible.
- Ability and desire to roll up one’s sleeves and do the work as well as handle the big picture strategic matters
- Experience working with high growth venture backed start-ups, venture investments, and impact investments/philanthropy.
- Have strong knowledge of laws and the constant changes on the federal, state, and local level that could impact the operation of the business.
- Systems thinker - excited to establish legal systems and processes in a high-growth company
- 4+ years of practice with an established firm.
- Proficient legal experience in fund investments, venture capital financing and M&A.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, admission to the California bar in good standing.
Why you might be excited:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define our culture and operations infrastructure going forward.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why you might *not* be excited:
- We are still a fairly young company with about 100 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
This role comes with a competitive salary, stock options, unlimited PTO with recommended minimums, and employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Our team works remotely, and we are excited about candidates globally. Please note that our team works on GMT-7 PST-friendly hours, so your location will affect your work hours, which may be difficult from Europe or Asia.
Please let On Deck know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
August 16th, 2021
Job posted on
March 25th, 2021
About the companyOn Deck is building a modern education institution: a platform serving the many strands of identity of ambitious people who want to change the world. We started with the On Deck Founder Fellowship (OD...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.