What we're looking for 🔎
- 🎨 Creation of websites, landing pages, themes, email templates, checkout flows, billing UI. Designing and building many of our most public facing properties. The visual voice of the company.
- ⚡️ Working with design and marketing teams to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost's brand identity across all marketing and product touch points.
- 🚀 Working with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
- 💑 We work on cross-functional product teams of 2-5 people, usually one designer and a few developers.
- 👻 Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn't), and putting your work into production. There's a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
- 📢 Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
- 🤹♂️ Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Very comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You'll need to be comfortable with coding your designs in modern HTML & CSS.
- Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You'll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
- Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don't A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
- Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
- A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team which communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
- An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Almost all work at Ghost is complex and extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. We're not in the slightest bit fucking interested in what Design-Twitter thinks about... well, anything at all really. We're actively uncool like that.
About this role
November 15th, 2021
May 5th, 2021
Learn about Ghost and their company culture.
We're a proud non-profit organisation building open source technology for journalism.
Ghost was founded in April 2013, after a very successful Kickstarter campaign to create a new platform focused solely on professional publishing. Our mission is to create the best open source tools for independent journalists and writers across the world, and have a real impact on the future of online media.
Today Ghost powers an incredible range of websites; from individual bloggers who are just getting started, to large teams of writers and editors at some of the largest organisations in the world. We've built a sustainable business around a free core application, funded by a premium platform as a service to run it on.
Behind the scenes, we're just a group of weird, fun-loving humans who enjoy experimenting with new technology. We believe in creating as much freedom in the world as we can, and everything we do is based on that core principle.
We set Ghost up as non-profit foundation so that it would always be true to its users, rather than shareholders or investors. Our legal constitution ensures that the company can never be bought or sold, and one hundred percent of our revenue is reinvested into the product and the community.
As a public organisation we also believe in being transparent and accountable for everything we do, so we publish our live financial data for all to see.
Professional, modern, open source publishing.
Ghost is the #1 content management system on Github, and the most popular modern open source publishing platform in the world.
We make a free, MIT licensed core product which is available to anyone - and offer a fully managed Platform As A Service for businesses to run the software with ease. Tahe company and the project is structured as a sustainable non-profit organisation.
The company launched with a $350,000 Kickstarter campaign in 2013 (the #2 most-funded OSS project of all time), shipped its first version 6 months later, and became profitable 6 months after that.
Today, Ghost is used by some of the largest organisations in the world - including Apple, OpenAI, DuckDuckGo, NASA, Sky News, Cloudflare, The Stanford Review, and many more - with net revenue of $2,000,000+ per year.
Ghost Foundation Team
Our virtual headquarters is in Singapore, but we're a fully remote team spread all over the world. Between us, we cover 4 continents, 5 nationalities and 6 languages. All the work we do happens online, with no office to speak of. We use great tools like Slack, Zoom and Github to collaborate efficiently, harnessing the formidable power-of-the-internet™ to get things done.
We spend our days talking to each other and developing beautiful, open source products using modern technology to power the future of online publishing.
Sound like the sort of life you would enjoy?
We're always looking for great people to join us, some benefits include...
World class team & product
Work with a group of incredible people who are unbelievably excited about the work they do and the technology they use.
Choose where you work and how you want to work. It's entirely up to you. We really just want you to be happy.
We don't count how many hours you work each day. We do insist that you take at least 2 full weeks off per year, though.
All costs covered
We'll set you up with all the latest tech gear which you need and pay for a co-working space if you'd like one.
We'll coach you to help you grow your career and cover any costs for conferences, meetups, books or memberships.
Twice a year we fly everyone to an exotic location so we can spend a week working together and grabbing a few drinks.
Learn about the technology and tools that Ghost uses.
About this role
November 15th, 2021
May 5th, 2021