What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Help build a world class global product legal team, including mentoring and managing legal team members, hiring, and taking ownership of initiatives to scale the team.
- Lead a team that is providing full product life-cycle counseling for Coinbase’s global institutional products, for new and existing financial products, including in the prime brokerage, lending, borrowing and trading space. Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency and blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues focused on the institutional space.
- Lead complex and global cross functional efforts, effectively collaborating with internal stakeholders, other legal and business teams (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Business Development/Sales, Compliance).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Currently licensed in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 14+ years of legal experience and minimum 5+ years of in-house experience.
- You have substantial expertise working with product teams in launching global financial products and have a deep understanding of the legal structure and regulatory architecture of financial instruments (e.g., securities, commodities, derivatives, crypto), including lending, trading, custody, and settlement of those instruments.
- You have the ability to expertly advise and provide big-picture thought leadership to internal teams on the strategy, development, integration and expansion of existing and new financial products. You are comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- You have experience navigating relationships with key U.S. regulators in the financial institutional space: E.g SEC, FINRA, DFS or CFTC. Some international regulatory experience would be ideal.
- A strong interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Familiarity with global laws and agencies applicable to Coinbase, including money transmission laws, banking regulations, UDAAP, FTC Section 5, CDA Section 230, CCPA, GDPR, NYDFS, OCC, SEC, CFTC, and the CFPB.
- You have proven problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- You have experience managing legal team members and building a world class and diverse legal team.
Please let Coinbase know you found this job on Himalayas. This will help us grow!
About this role
April 25th, 2021
Job posted on
January 7th, 2021
About the companyThe world’s leading exchange for digital currencies Founded in June of 2012, Coinbase is a digital currency wallet and platform where merchants and consumers can transact with new digital currencies...
We'll keep you updated when the best new remote jobs pop up.